Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Refuge in the Storm



Psalm 91:2 - "This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.”

He watches over us.  He protects us.  He rescue's us.  He covers us and shelters us.  He answers us when we call on Him.

God is my refuge!  This helps me feel safe and secure!

Refuge- Hope, place of safety, shelter, trust

But there's another verse in Psalm 91 that I'm certain the translators must have got wrong.  Not really!

Psalm 91:15 - "When they call on me, I will answer;  I will be with them in trouble.  I will rescue and honor them."

Here's what I'd rather this verse say.  "And I will keep you out of trouble."

After all, if you'd keep me out of trouble God you wouldn't have to go to the trouble of rescuing me!  

FIRST TRUTH

 STORMS WILL COME

Mark 4:35-41 - "As evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, “Let’s cross to the other side of the lake.”  So they took Jesus in the boat and started out, leaving the crowds behind (although other boats followed).  But soon a fierce storm came up. High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water. Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. The disciples woke him up, shouting, “Teacher, don’t you care that we’re going to drown?” When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Silence! Be still!” Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. Then he asked them, “Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?”  The disciples were absolutely terrified. “Who is this man?” they asked each other. “Even the wind and waves obey him!”

John 16:33- "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

SECOND TRUTH

 YOU’RE NOT ALONE IN THE STORM

John 14:1- “Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me (JESUS).”

God is with you in the storm!  And when you place your trust in God, there may be a storm on the outside but there can be peace on the inside!

God is greater than your storm!  Jesus had power over the wind and waves!  

Psalm 46:1- “God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble.”

YOU CAN EXPERIENCE GOD’S PRESENCE IN THE STORM

Psalm 91:1-2- “Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;  he is my God, and I trust him.”

YOU CAN EXPERIENCE GOD’S PROTECTION IN THE STORM

Psalm 91:4- “He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection.”

YOU CAN EXPERIENCE GOD’S POWER IN THE STORM

Psalm 91:13 - "You will trample upon lions and cobras; you will crush fierce lions and serpents under your feet!”

THIRD TRUTH

 YOU CAN PREPARE FOR THE STORM

Matthew 7:24-27- “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock.  Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand.  When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.”

Jesus is our refuge in the storm! He says that if you'll build your life on Me you can overcome every storm!

Nahum 1:7- "The Lord is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes.  He is close to those who trust in him."

The storms of life are no respecter of persons and they come and go at unexpected times.  But what never changes is that God is good and He is close to those who put their trust in Him.

And here's what's really cool!  When you put your faith in God He gives you peace in the midst of the storm!

YOU CAN EXPERIENCE GOD'S PEACE IN THE STORM

Dreaming .......Again

Ken Woolf





 


No comments:

Post a Comment