Wednesday, May 20, 2015

What was God Thinking?

One minute he's declaring a revelation given him by God the Father and the next minute Jesus is turning and saying to Peter, and I quote, "Get behind me, Satan!"  

On another occasion he's stepping out of a boat walking on the water and then instantly the stormy sea that once held him up is now swallowing his body as he sinks. 

You have to give him credit for his zeal to open his mouth and his willingness to do something impossible, such as walking on water.  But Peter really couldn't get anything right and God had no problem recording Peter's blunders in the pages of His inspired Word called the Bible. 

I chuckle as I write this but in another encounter between Jesus and Peter,  Jesus is telling Peter "before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times."  What does Peter reply?  "Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you."  Or in other words Peter is telling Jesus that He's wrong.  Well, we all know how that turned out!  Peter just couldn't get it right and again God let's us know. 

 As Jesus is being betrayed by Judas and then arrested by a mob of people,  Peter comes to the rescue and pulls his sword and cuts off a guys ear.  Jesus rebukes Peter and then picks up the ear and reattaches it,  healing the servant. Peter just couldn't get it right,  and yes, again God let's us know. 

So the following verse  just blows my mind and initially generates the following question.  What was God thinking? 

"Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd....."  (Acts 2:14)

 One of the most important events in the history of Christianity,  next to the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ,  has just taken place!   I'm speaking of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost.  And Peter, the one who couldn't get anything right, stands and explains to the crowd what had just taken place and then preaches the first gospel message since the ascension of Jesus and thousands are born again! 

Now if it's me choosing the one who's going to fulfill this monumental task of trying to make plain why those in the upper room are speaking in other tongues and then on top of that preaching the very first message of the Good News,  Peter probably wouldn't be my first pick for obvious reasons.  After all, he couldn't get anything right! 

And now that I think about it, I probably wouldn't choose me!    I can't help but think of the verse that records a conversation that Jesus is having with His disciples.

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you."  (Matthew 15:16) 

So what was God thinking?  Oh,  who can fully know God's thoughts and ways, they're much higher than ours.  But one thing is apparent.  God wasn't  as concerned about Peter's failures as Peter probably was or even the others around him.
  
 And God's probably not as concerned about your failures as you are.  I really believe that Peter just kept showing up.  He just kept following Jesus, failures and all.  And on the Day of Pentecost Peter showed up and God used him in a powerful way and thousands were born again and the early church was birthed. 

Now here's the cool thing!  God had no problem letting us know that He chose Peter, the guy who couldn't get anything right! 

So maybe it's time for you to start showing up, mistakes and all.  It's time for you to Dream.......Again!  

I just have this impression that if you'll keep SHOWING UP,  a day will come that you STAND UP and God uses you in a powerful way! 

Oh yes, and He'll have no problem letting others know that HE CHOSE YOU! 

Showing up and Standing up!
Ken Woolf






No comments:

Post a Comment